Women’s Wednesday #14: Empowering Women at Your Store: What’s in it For You
Posted: September 3, 2014 by Anne Fleming, Car Buying Advocate
In today’s competitive marketplace, women buyers are crucial for auto dealers’ success. Just take a look at numbers and reported growth opportunities in a recent Wall Street Journal article.
It may be no surprise that car buying is an emotional purchase for women. Even on the heels of a recent survey showing women are comfortable with negotiation than men, there is still a huge upside for dealers to create an empowering buying experience for women.
Did You Know?
Every other woman in the United States purchases a car by herself. While many women are confidant and excited, others walk in with different emotions. Consider, that 3 in 10 women report being apprehensive about their visit while 20% are nervous and overwhelmed. You don’t know which woman coming in your door is feeling what. Nonetheless, it is vital to encourage and boost women’s confidence, respect and trust from the get-go. Establishing trust-based relationships and assisting them in a considerate, flexible, non-intimidating manner is the equation for having a browser convert to a buyer. Anything short of that, she walks.
Tips to Empower Women and Increase Buyers + Retention:
- Respect and Trust are the building block to every car sold today. It begins with greeting her in a timely and friendly manner. Eye contact is locked in and the smart phone is put away.
- Invite women to use your wifi or child play area. Would they like a cold or warm beverage?
- Have them lead the conversation, but it’s your job to ask questions. What distance does she drive to work? Does she have children? What type of activities does she do? Talk to women like you are having coffee with her. Don’t be in a hurry to get her into the car for a test drive.
- When asking about features, be sure to use full sentences with women, not “leather or cloth.” Our senior trainer friend, Vicki Parker, provides these tips that make a difference when engaging with prospects. Women don’t want to be rushed, they want to build and create a sense of relationship.
- The four-corner-around-the-block-
11-minute-test-drive doesn’t serve all customers anymore. Let women make their own trail. Bring the car to their work place to test drive when needed. Better yet, let her take it overnight so the family can give it a true road test. That is one way to surprise and delight your customer.
- The average length of time it takes a woman to buy a car is 3 hours and 30 minutes. How about a “Buy a Car in 120 Minutes or Less”? Women love saving time.
- Have an open door Car Wash Policy.
- The #1 concierge item requested by women is an overnight vehicle. It is no mystery women do not want to have to wait for someone else to pick her up, be dropped off by a van, or — have to pay for a rental car. Make it easy for your customers.
Want to Sell More Cars and Distinguish your Dealership to Women? Click here.
Did you receive a Free copy of the 2014 Women’s Car Buying Report? Click here.