Women’s Wednesday #86: What’s Your Dealer’s Chemistry with The Decision-Maker?
Posted: December 5, 2018 by Anne Fleming, Car Buying Advocate
Change. It is always happening. Our typical reaction is either happiness and acceptance, or push and resistance. Regardless of our response, change occurs nonetheless. But it is our view to what is happening and how we face the change that is always the real issue.
It’s been quite a year. Just recently, GM announced the closing of many manufacturing facilities at the peril and loss of jobs for thousands. GM, like Ford and Chrysler, report that they are retooling, reinvesting, repositioning, and redesigning. Which includes not just the vehicle line-up, but also the company structure. All to meet a new bottom line and new consumer demand. Evolving consumer trends and tastes have forced OEMs to make extraordinary business decisions.
How Will Change Impact Leaders at the Retail Level?
As you gear up for 2019, be proactive. Create a list of elements and disciplines to re-examine, starting with consumer demand. As in, identifying who your consumer really is – and what do they want (and would love to demand) from your brand. If your brand message is Price, Price, Price – think again. The top reasons women report buying from her car dealer are 1.) Interaction with Sales Consultant, 2.) Dealer’s Reputation, and 3.) Price & Deal, in that order.
It’s time to put your attention on this data and meet with your leadership body and marketing team. Women buy 46% of vehicles at new car dealerships today. The other 54% carry the veto-power. What marketing effort are you going to put toward this market segment and what is your true opportunity?
Do you know that half of women car buyers go to an average of 3.2 dealers before buying? That’s 200% more than the industry average. Are you tracking how many women visit and leave your store? How much additional business could you generate if 10% of these ups were engaged and became buyers? 15%?
Download this Chemistry Table and Review with Your Leadership Team
Chemistry, Culture and Customer Experience
Women can buy a car anywhere. Stop playing the game of chance, hope and guessing. Be relevant and distinguish your store by communicating how you provide a total solution – beyond the mundane “price and best people”. Why? Because they remain watered-down messages in a sea of noise.
Specifically, these ads continue to ignore what the decision-maker wants during her automotive consumer journey – trust and a relationship. Just like the OEMs, it’s time to change how you communicate your culture, the experience that can be expected, as well as how it’s measured.
In other words, it’s time to go beyond the standard opening lines and dutiful CSI & reviews “benchmarks”.
To help navigate these discussions, we’ve created the “What’s Your Dealership’s Chemistry with the Decision-Maker?” chart. Creating a well-thought-out strategy will take time to implement, but it’s the right time to expand & elevate your marketing, sales process and positioning.
, ,  2017 US Women’s Car Dealership Report